Vuteq Canada is a Tier 1 automotive manufacturing organization, located in Woodstock, Ontario.
By continually improving our systems and processes through ongoing evaluation of company objectives, we are able to maintain our commitment in ensuring that requirements and expectations for quality and safety are realized.
We strive to be an indispensable partner to our customers, driven by our team members and their engagement, and commit to developing the future with passion and sincerity.
The Tooling Designer is responsible for defining tooling requirements, process requirements, and tooling costs for Vuteq’s RFQ process. Once business has been awarded, the tooling coordinator is responsible for conducting part, tool, and cost validation for tooling, as well as part and tool feasibility, while maintaining cost targets.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Review data to assist sales team with sourcing quotes, performing design for manufacturing tests, and design study requests
- Involved in the analysis of technical data (drawings, data, and sketch, etc.); provides insight into manufacturability of products based on drawing or design
- Prepares RFQs and reviews quotes for new programs and engineering changes
- Offers feedback to customers and offers suggestions on the design change in order to improve part feasibility
- Prepares/analyzes tooling cost breakdowns
- Establishes target pricing for tool shops and negotiates final price
- Send data to supplier for quoting
- Prepares and maintains quote summaries for each program
- Create mold specifications; select tool shop and further discuss specifications of the mold build
- Attend weekly meetings, via WebX, with the customer
- Design review; ensure tooling is correct, and it meets the demands of what the customer wants/needs
- Visit tool shops during the build phase to review progress
- Attend tool testing and ensure the mold functions correctly
- Ensure tools are production ready prior to start of production
- Works with production to troubleshoot tooling issues
- Mentor and train new/more junior team members
- Successful completion of a minimum 2 - 4 year post-secondary program; design, mechanical, and manufacturing engineering are considered relevant
- Successful completion of a mold design/mold maker apprenticeship
- 5 – 7 years of experience in mold design/mold making
- Automotive experience is considered to be an asset
Skills and Abilities
- Actively listening to tool shops and fellow designers on engineering changes and specifications
- Ability to show versatility and resourcefulness when problem solving
- Attention to detail and accuracy when preparing and reviewing mold designs
- Ability to adapt to changing demands from customers as well as fellow team members
- Strong interpersonal skills; having to communicate with several people at once
- Ability to organize priorities based on deadlines and importance of tasks
- Manage time efficiently while working on several different tasks at once
- Sense of creativity when designing a mold, and when having to change and adapt to different specifications
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and working in high precarious places. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Vuteq Canada Inc. welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
While we appreciate all applications received, only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
Apply for this job